Thursday, August 27, 2009

Preliminary thoughts and mediations

So I've been thinking about what to do with my hour...

It's quite a tricky thing really. Do you do something that's funny to entertain? Do you do something that's 'meaningful'? Do you give up your hour to a cause or protest? Or do you just take in the atmosphere?

The interesting thing about this project is that it isn't just a location specific public art event - it's webcast and archived/rebroadcasted for eternity. So though many may be most drawn to entertaining the passing crowds, what of the legacy? But perhaps it's precisely this type of immediate response and agency that is what should be celebrated and memorialised...

For me, I think given the significance of the project, I am compelled to try to do something that transcends myself - or at least transcends a self-indulgent individuality or ego identity.

But if I'm being honest, this is also due to the fact that I'm on at 5am - the one time nearly no one is in Trafalgar Square. Since I won't have a default public present and am less of a spectacle on the spot, I feel I have to produce something more consciously makes use of the web dissemination and is very aware of the audio-visual recording of the event. So it's going to be something involving talking, something involving making and hopefully something fun/amusing to watch. Who'd want to watch me for an hour anyway unless what I was doing was interesting... particularly after so many others have gone before me...

1 Comments:

At August 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Ian-o!

I watched Tim Walker on the pedestal online while I was working in my office. For some reason the whole thing was completely absorbing, but I don't know why. I'll try to catch you when you're up there... Looking forward to seeing what you'll get up to!

Shane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home