Sunday, August 30, 2009

We're all dividuals...

I want my hour on the plinth to about more than just myself, standing, alone. In talking with Andrew Cochrane (my collaborator), we’ve agreed that we think that there are some limitations to the idea that people are individuals. In life, we all depend on so many other people, other things to live, create meaning and in the end share something of the time we have with.

So Andrew and I are planning to explore dividuality – the partibility of persons, identities, images… We’re hoping to offer a work that both complements and critiques some of the assumptions of One and Other and perhaps Antony Gormley is making through the design of the project. We want to show some of the ways that even though someone stands on the plinth by themselves, this does not divide them from the relations to other people and things in the world.

1 Comments:

At September 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Gill and Steve said...

I'm sitting in my office on a Friday afternoon waiting for the clock to strike 5. I'm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina USA it near Raleigh named after Sir Walter Raleigh, as I'm sure you guessed already.
So I take my daily brief look at the oneandother website site, which is scarily addictive. I take glimpse of what went on through the night and I stumble upon you. I have just watched the rerun of your 'performance' on the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar Square. The final work of art was marked by unusual and impressive intellectual acuteness ( I don't know what adjective to use ), the idea of using the 2400 participants images to make one image of Anthony Gormley was again very igeneuos.

Thank you for you and your collaborators creativity.

Steven

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home