Wednesday, September 23, 2009

3 days and counting...

I arrived in Norwich last night - courteously hosted by the Sainsbury Institute - to start work on the project for the plinth. That's not to say that I haven't been doing a lot of work thus far, but for publicity purposes, I'm still keeping that bit secret. I'm hoping that the event on the plinth will have some impact, so I don't want to give too much away.

What I can say is that I will be building something. It is going to take me 3 days in Norwich to set it up and hopefully just one hour to complete. I'll be working with materials that everyone will be a little bit familiar with and some images that some people will be very familiar with.

What I'm hoping to create is a constructive comment on what the plinth has been and how it will be remembered and represented in years to come. For the last two months, I've been researching the One and Other project, looking at how it was set up, exploring Gormley's artistic decisions and excavating the thousands of plinthers that have gone before me. We're confident that what we're going to offer will be fun but focused, critical but constructive.

5am (GMT) on Friday is probably a bit early for most of our European followers to tune in to follow the event live, but hopefully our US buddies will be keen to watch a midnight webstream (12am EST on Thursday).

Thanks for reading, and I'll keep you posted on how things go over the next few days...

1 Comments:

At September 24, 2009 at 9:42 PM , Blogger peace out ~ wildflower said...

Quite clever to organize it as you did. It is interesting (I'm still watching as I type this) that you said (whilst re-positioning the piece for the camera), "This is becoming more of a performance piece than I meant it to be." Then you went to stand behind so we could take in the piece of art that you created of the artists -- many and one. As you sat we could watch you as well -- you as artist watching the watchers below and looking to see what they thought of your creation. It was still a performance piece where we watched you ... even if you thought we'd focus mainly on the piece. You ARE a performance artist in this piece regardless of intent or how you might normally name yourself. Fascinating... (watching from Austin, Texas)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home